License Requirements

How to Renew a California Insurance License

How to Renew a California Insurance License

Updated: November 9, 2021

A.D. Banker Provider #: 20090

Get Started

On this page, you’ll find a comprehensive guide to renewing your California insurance license. At A.D. Banker & Company, we’re here to walk you through the process and make completing your continuing education requirements as easy and painless as possible.

We offer several different study methods to cater to your needs and help you grow as an insurance professional. Whether you’re interested in learning the latest topics in insurance CE webinars, or having unlimited access to our online CE courses, we strive to provide options that fit around your busy schedule. Each of our courses are designed to not only be straightforward and simple, but also valuable to your career.

To begin the renewal process, you will need to complete 3 steps listed below.

1. Review the State Requirements

The first step to renewing your insurance license is to review California’s CE requirements. Depending on which lines of insurance you’re licensed in, the continuing education hours you’re required to complete will vary. All hours must be completed and reported prior to your license renewal date to avoid a lapse in your license. The California Department of Insurance recommends completing your hours at least 60 days before your license expires.

General Requirements

How many total hours of CE do I need to complete?

Agents and Adjusters are required to complete 24 total hours every 2 years (except for Limited Lines Automobile Agents, who must complete 20 hours).

What courses can I take to satisfy my total hour requirement?

21 of your total hours must be approved for the line(s) of insurance you’re licensed to sell (or 17 for Limited Lines Automobile Agents). The remaining 3 hours must be Ethics.

For instance, if you’re a Personal Lines Broker or a Limited Lines Automobile Agent, you can take any approved property and casualty course. If you’re an agent with a life only license, you can take courses approved as life.

Can I take any continuing education course?

No. You can only take courses that are approved for the line(s) of insurance you are licensed to sell.

When is the renewal date for my insurance license?

The renewal date occurs every 2 years on the last day of your license issuance month. When you add a new line of authority, the renewal date is based on the issuance date of your original license.

The renewal date for Personal Lines Agents licensed prior to January 1, 2009 is every 2 years on December 31. Independent and Public Adjusters renew on May 31 of even numbered years.

You may also need to take specific courses or earn specific credit types to renew your license. These course completions will count towards your total hour requirement.

Life & Health Agent Product-Specific Requirements

Prior to selling, soliciting or negotiating the following products, you’re required to complete initial certification training. These training hours can be applied towards the total hours needed to renew your license.

What are the requirements to sell Annuities?

Agents must complete an 8-hour Annuity Certification Training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in California. After completing the initial requirement, agents must complete a 4-hour ongoing annuity certification training every 2-year renewal period. All agents that sell long-term care products, who are exempt from continuing education requirements, must complete a long-term care course once during each term.  (The 8 hour course cannot be used to meet the 4 hour requirement.)

What are the requirements to sell Long-Term Care products?

Agents licensed in Accident & Health must complete 8 hours of initial Long-Term Care (LTC) Certification Training before selling, soliciting or negotiating Long-Term Care (LTC) products. Agents licensed less than 4 years are required to complete an additional 8 hours of training every 12-months, without duplicating courses within the same 2-year license term. Once an agent is licensed for more than 4 years, only one LTC course needs to be completed each licensing term.

What are the requirements to sell Long-Term Care Partnership products?

In addition to completing 8 hours of initial Long-Term Care (LTC) Certification Training, agents licensed in Accident & Health or Sickness must complete 8 hours of Long-Term Care Partnership (LTCP) Certification Training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTCP products/policies. After the initial requirement has been met, agents are required to complete 8 hours every 2 years in a state-approved classroom.

Property & Casualty Agent Product-Specific Requirements

Prior to selling, soliciting or negotiating the following products, you’re required to complete initial certification training. These training hours can be applied towards the total hours needed to renew your license.

What are the requirements to sell flood insurance?

Property/Casualty agents must complete a one-time 3-hour NFIP Flood Insurance Certification Training course prior to selling flood insurance policies.

What are the requirements to sell homeowners insurance?

Property/Casualty and Personal Lines agents who sell or negotiate homeowners insurance are required to complete a one-time 3-hour Homeowners Valuation Training course.

Do extra hours completed in a previous CE period carry over?

The state of California allows excess continuing education hours to be carried over into the next renewal period, up to 24 hours. Excess hours in ethics or speciality training can carry over to the next renewal period; however, those hours will only be counted as general credits, and will not be counted to fulfill the requirement. Education requirements for ethics and specialty training must be completed during every renewal period. Hours must be completed before the expiration date, or they do not carry forward.

It is important to note that a licensee can only get credit for approved courses for the license type held.

Can I repeat Continuing Education courses for credit?

No, you may not repeat courses for credit in the same renewal period.

Am I exempt from Continuing Education?

If you meet all the following requirements, you will be exempt from completing continuing education to renew your license:

  1. Hold a license in life-only, accident and health, property broker-agent, casualty broker-agent, personal lines broker-agent, or limited lines automobile
  2. Are 70 years of age or older
  3. Have 30 continuous years as a licensee in good standing in the state of California
  4. Originally obtained license before January 1, 2010

Any licensee that maintains eligibility for 30 continuous years without any disciplinary action is considered to be in good standing. Licensees who have a break in their license caused by late renewals or transferring between employers could still qualify for the exemption.

Other exemptions exist for:

  • Full-time, salaried employees of a title insurer
  • Salaried solicitors or agents of a mortgage insurer who receives no commission
  • An officer of an insurer
  • Life Agents claiming funeral exemption (selling less than $15,000 of insurance)
  • Individuals who have held a Life Agent license for at least one year or who obtained a Life Settlement Broker license prior to 7/2/2010 are exempt from the 15 hour Life Settlement Broker Training requirement (does not exempt from Life Agent CE requirements)
  • Nonresidents licensees except for those selling annuities or Long Term Care products

If your license has specialty training requirements, you will still be required to meet those specific education requirements. 

If you believe you qualify for an exemption, contact the California Department of Insurance at (800) 967-9331, or submit an email inquiry.

2. Register for and Complete Courses

Once you have determined the renewal requirements for your license, you are ready to choose and register for insurance continuing education courses. You may complete your hours through webinars, online courses, self-study courses, or any combination thereof. These options allow you to decide how to best fit your continuing education into your existing schedule.

Each course is listed with an associated credit type. You must select courses that have the appropriate credit types for fulfilling the renewal requirements for your license.

Webinars: Completion is based on attendance and participation. You must be present for the full duration of the course, and you must be active throughout to receive credit. There is no certification exam required. 

Online courses: Completion is self-paced. You must review the course material and pass the Certification Exam at the end to receive credit. Certification exams do not require a monitor.

A.D. Banker will report your completed hours to the California Department of Insurance within 1 business day.

3. File a Renewal Application

Once you have completed your courses and satisfied the renewal requirements for your license, you will need to file a renewal application. The online application will guide you through the renewal process. Upon successful renewal, your licensing record will be updated on the California Department of Insurance's website, and your renewed license can be immediately obtained using the state’s Print or Download Your License service.

We’re Here to Help

Ready to start fulfilling your continuing education requirements? Get started online now or call A.D. Banker’s direct enrollment line at 1-(800)-866-2468. Courses can be completed online, through live webinars, and through self-study. A.D. Banker’s customer care team is available to assist with any questions and create a course plan for you. 

Course completions are automatically reported daily and are approved to satisfy LTC, AML, Annuity Suitability, Flood, Ethics, and other state-specific requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find my license number?

To find your license number and other additional details relating to your license, use California’s Check a License service.

How do I print my license?

Your license can be printed online through the California Department of Insurance’s License Download Service.

How do I view my Continuing Education (CE) transcript?

Your continuing education transcript can be accessed by making an inquiry through Sircon. Your transcript will show the number of hours you’ve completed.

What do I need to have with me when I’m renewing my license?

When you are ready to renew your license online, you should gather the following items to ensure the smoothest process possible:

  • The renewal email reminder you received, which will contain:
    • Your license number; and
    • The 6-digit renewal ID number
  • A credit card or debit card
  • Your email address

If you did not receive a renewal notice, you can still complete your online renewal using the last 4 digits of your social security number, your license number, and your date of birth.

How will I know when my license is renewed? 

Once you have successfully completed the renewal process, your renewed license can be immediately obtained using the state’s Print or Download Your License service. Your licensing record will be updated on the California Department of Insurance's website.

What if my license renewal is late?

If your license renewal is late, a 50% penalty fee is required to late renew your license. In California, you have one calendar year from the expiration date of your license to renew an expired license. During this time, you will not be able to transact insurance business until the license is renewed. If the expired license is not renewed within one year, you will need to file a new application, appointment(s), fees, and if required, complete prelicensing education and pass the qualifying exam.

For additional information on late renewals, consult the California Department of Insurance.

Continuing Education Webinars: Live online "classroom" courses... NO EXAMS!

A.D. Banker & Company provides licensing information as a courtesy to our students. While reasonable attempts have been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, licensees are ultimately responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with the requirements set forth by their state licensing entity. A.D. Banker & Company offers no guarantee of the accuracy of this information and will not be held liable in case of noncompliance with the license requirements.