License Requirements

How to Renew an Iowa Insurance License

How to Renew an Iowa Insurance License

COVID-19 Updates

11/20/20:  Due to recent developments of COVID-19, Iowa will be waiving the CE classroom method and proctoring requirements through the March 31, 2021.
09/01/20:  CE classroom method and proctoring requirements are being waived through the end of 2020 due to COVID-19.
04/01/20:  License expiration dates are being extended for 90 days for resident & non-resident licensees.
03/26/20:  CE classroom method and proctoring requirements are being waived through the end of August 2020 due to COVID-19. 

Iowa Insurance Division

Helpful Links

ph: (515) 654-6600 (Main phone)

ph: (515) 654-6565 (Producer licensing)

fax: (515) 654-6500



Find your license number

Print your license

View your CE transcript

File a renewal application

A.D. Banker Provider #: 32013

1. Review the State Requirements

In order to renew your insurance license, you must complete the required continuing education hours for the lines of insurance that you are licensed in. All of the hours must be completed and reported prior to your license renewal date to avoid a lapse in your license.


Total Hours

36 hours triennially for Producers


18 hrs triennially for Crop Only producers (3 must be in Ethics)

Compliance Renewal Date

Renewal date is the last day of the licensee's birth month, triennially.

You may also need to take specific courses or earn specific credit types to renew your license. These course completions will count toward the total hour requirement.


CE Course Category Restrictions - Licensees may take courses in any line of authority.

For All Licenses:

3 hrs - Producers must complete 3 hrs of Ethics as part of the total requirement.

For Life & Health Producers:

Annuity Suitability
4 hrs - Producers must complete a one-time 4-hour Annuity Suitability Certification Training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products.

Annuity Best Interest (NEW)

1 hr - Producers already licensed* and certified to sell annuity products in Iowa, must complete an additional 1-hour of training no later than June 30, 2021.  Producers may take the  4-Hour Annuity Best Interest course to satisfy the update training.
4 hrs - Producers licensed* on or after January 1, 2021 must complete a one-time 4-Hour Annuity Best Interest Certification Training course prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products.

*This applies to both resident and non-resident licensees

Note:  Annuity Best Interest courses (1 hour or 4 hour) do not reciprocate with states that have not adopted the updated NAIC model law.

Long-Term Care
8/4 hrs - Producers must complete an initial 8-hour Long-Term Care (LTC) Certification Training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating Long-Term Care products/policies. After completing the initial requirement, producers must complete a 4-hour ongoing LTC training, due every renewal thereafter.

Indexed Product Training
4 hrs - Producers who wish to sell indexed products in Iowa must complete at least one four credit indexed products training course, prior to providing advice or making any sales presentation concerning an indexed product.

For Property & Casualty Producers:

3 hrs - Property/Casualty or Personal Lines producers must complete a one-time 3-hour course on NFIP Flood Insurance Certification Training prior to selling flood insurance policies.

There are also additional rules about how the course hours can be applied.


Carryover hours are not allowed.


Courses may not be taken more than once in a reporting period.

If you meet any of criteria below, you may be exempt from the continuing education requirements.


  • Producers who are on extended active duty with the US Armed Forces
  • Individuals licensed for credit insurance or surety insurance only
  • Attorneys licensed to sell insurance may be exempted upon submission of proof of completed CLE
  • Non-residents:
    • Exempt if they live in a state (or district) having a CE requirement for insurance producers, with the exception of the indexed product training requirement
    • Non-resident producers must comply with the LTC requirement for Iowa or another state which meets the NAIC LTC Model training outline

2. Register for and Complete Courses

Once you have determined the renewal requirements for your license, you can register for courses. Each course has an associated credit type; when registering for courses, select courses with credit types that will help to fulfill the renewal requirements for your license.

A.D. Banker offers classroom, webinar, online, and self study courses for Iowa. You can register for courses under the Continuing Education menu at

You must fulfill the course requirements for each of the courses to have them reported.

  • Classroom and webinar course completions are based off of attendance and participation and do not require a completion exam. You must be present for the full duration of the course and be active and attentive throughout to receive credit.
  • Online and Self Study courses are self-paced. You must review the course material and pass the Certification Exam at the end to receive credit.*


*Online and self study exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party (a person with no family or financial relationship).


Once a course has been completed, the completion must be reported to the state. A.D. Banker will report the course completions to State Based Systems.

3. File a Renewal Application

IMPORTANT NOTICE - The Iowa Insurance Division recommends that producers purchase and complete CE hours at least one month prior to their expiration date.  If a producer's license expires, the producer is required to pay a $100 reinstatement fee in addition to the $50 renewal fee.

Once you have satisfied the renewal requirements for your license, you can file a renewal application at

Continuing Education Webinars: Live online "classroom" courses... NO EXAMS!

A.D. Banker & Company provides licensing information as a courtesy to our students. While reasonable attempts have been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, licensees are ultimately responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with the requirements set forth by their state licensing entity. A.D. Banker & Company offers no guarantee of the accuracy of this information and will not be held liable in case of noncompliance with the license requirements.